Sunday, December 30, 2007

Sometimes it all comes together

I go to spin class every Monday and Thursday evening. For non bikers, this is an indoor, intense session on a stationary bike done in a group to loud, driving (think disco) music. The teacher leads the class through a series of increasingly fast and difficult exercises that, if done properly, cram the equivalent of 2 1/2 hours of outdoor biking into one hour of sweat and strain. A lot of my progress in biking is due to these classes since I work during the day and can only ride on the roads on the weekends. I love the way I feel after a class; somewhat tired, stretched out and totally relaxed and at peace no matter how hard the day has been.

The Thursday before Christmas was the last class of the season. There were twelve of us including two young men who were fairly new to the class. At the end as we were cleaning up and putting the bikes away, one of them commented to the class in general that he was exhausted and stated that he guessed that since he had just turned thirty, he couldn't expect to do the kind of things he was able to do when he was younger. I should have kept my mouth shut but I just couldn't help it. I leaned over towards him and replied, "I know how you must feel. I remember how it was to turn 30.........about 30 years ago".

I know it was rude and a bit cruel but it felt sooooo good. Sometimes life presents you with the perfect line in the perfect scene and it would be a waste to let it pass.

No comments: